Thursday, December 13, 2012

To: Mama [Post Card Poem]

 
Mama,
I am eating the last grains of rice you cooked for me 
It took you longer to make this time 
Your hands quick sparrows
sometimes sharp as autumn wind
are now two knots
each finger swollen into branches
 
You say you are going to light a candle
for Chamuel arch angel of love
You worry that love can't find me
I don’t tell you that I push love away
I don’t talk about
the pain
rising through my chest
like high tide

Pain comes unceremoniously
as you cross the street
knees buckle, under the weight of gravity
lift your leg up onto bus stair
pain topples you backwards
Wash out your favorite mug
it strikes bolting from wrist to elbow
I sob sometimes thinking about her hair
I don’t tell you that
I learned another woman’s body better than my own
slope of her back
her skin the color of packed sand
on her forearm
a birthmark the shape of a candy wrapper
 
I tell you to hold on to me
as we cross the street
Your body has grown small
and it sways in the wind
In the mornings
you make coffee and tell me stories
about being brought up by 3 women
common story in Nicaragua
men leave, women come together
to raise up their children
Your mother was only 16 when she had you
somehow the women manage
Espiritu indomable
 
Out of the front of their home
they ran a convenience store
your tia Elia couldn’t read or write
but knew exactly how much
each customer owed her
In your child handwriting
you wrote out the receipts for her
 
 
Saturday afternoon
we go to Delgado Travel
A poner un dinerito
everyone is brown here
Guayaquil, Managua, San Salvador
Para donde va? Quien lo manda? Y Quien recibe?
Who sends and who receives?
You send money to your God daughter
the one who is named after you
The address you give:
“One block from where the old pharmacy used to be
And half a block east”
No names to the streets
 
Monday 5:00am
year fifteen of working for the DOE
you have gotten up extra early to finish
work, they are testing the kindergarten kids now
You say, it’s a way to push black and brown children to drop out
before they reach the fifth grade
 
I ask if you want me to type your lesson plan
no need to talk about the pain in your twisted up hands
or in my decomposing heart
I begin
Shift
capital
K -i-n-d-e-r-g-a-r-t-e-n
 
-C.Izaguirre



2 comments:

  1. Insanely beautiful, Cris. You inspire me to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you that means a lot coming from you. D, please do share! It would be an honor to have you as a guest contributor.

      Delete