Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Free Woman

12/12/12 My aunties, the ones who taught me how to farm in Kona, HI are celebrating the rise of the sun in Pu'uhonoa women's temple today.  They are singing E Ale E "Arise/Awake" and welcoming in feminine energy.  
I wrote this poem several years ago for a theater group that I was once a part of, it was my first time doing theater/spoken word... and I am grateful for having learned so much from that experience, this is my tribute to them, as well as a celebration to guerilleras everywhere.  To the 7 generations before me and 7 generations after I'm long gone.


------------------
Free Woman 

One day they will talk story about you
How you would dip the tips of your breasts
in the soft mouth of a running brook
leave your fingerprints on the gray skull of a rock
 
How you would laugh
mouth open, legs spread to the sky
filling your belly with sun
 
"Daughter of Oshun"
they will say
You somersaulted over clouds
sweet curves of brown
swayed oceans with your hips
 
"Sister of Oya"
They will say
you carried a sword between your teeth
and the four winds in your hair
made armies fall with your battle cry
Wove melodies together with time
 
You will be called
Holy woman, singer, warrior, leader, conjurer, dancer, poet, lover
Your names will be held sacred

Hanifah, Ganessa, Jaz, Chaney, Ashley, Nicki

Your names will be held sacred
because you carved out of bone
out of blood, movement  and song
A place for your tribe to grow.


-C.Izaguirre 
All rights reserved

1 comment: